Get to know some of our employees from around the world.
Dane Viel, Senior Product Support Manager (HomeAway Software for Professionals)
Lives in: Denver, Colorado
Joined Instant Software (a HomeAway company): April 2005
1. What do you like most about working at HomeAway? The thing I like most about HomeAway is the people I work with. Almost everyone I work with on a daily basis has been here 5-10 years as well so a lot of my co-workers are like family. I also enjoy traveling onsite to assist our customers with software installations and making their lives easier with our products and tools. In my role, I travel everywhere from the Outer Banks to the Cayman Islands to meet with PM customers that need assistance installing our software and training on how to use it. I enjoy traveling more than anything and am thrilled it’s a part of my job.
Coming out of his shell at the turtle sanctuary at Praia do Forte, Brazil.
2. Have you had any major life experiences that have shaped who you are today? Living abroad as a Foreign Exchange student definitely shaped who I am today. When I was 16 I lived in Sao Paulo, Brazil for a year, and then when I was 18 I lived near Milan, Italy for another year. Being able to see the world helps you realize that there is so much more to life than the routines of work, school, etc.
3. Do you have any unusual hobbies/talents? I am fluent in English, Portuguese, Italian, and some Spanish. I also grew up ski racing and competed nationally through the U.S. for most of my youth.
4. Who is your favorite person in your life? My Mom of course (and Dad too). Somehow she has managed to put up with me all these years and still is always there for me no matter what. They have always been supportive in my choices to be who I am and do what I want to do. I could not be more thankful to have the family that I do and I wish everyone else in the world could have that kind of relationship with their parents.
Attempting to Ice Dance with his Mom (who used to be in the Ice Capades).
5. What is the longest road trip you’ve ever taken and where did you go? When I lived in Brazil, we took a trip around all of the beaches of the Northeastern part of the country and a few other places. There were 90 students from various countries of the world and we travelled from Belo Horizonte and went to Maceio, Fortaleza, Brasilia, Recife, Porto Seguro, Salvador, Rio de Janeiro, and a few other cities. The entire trip was about 2,500 miles, I believe, and was definitely a blast!